Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Happy Birthday Joelle



Today is my daughter Joelle's 15th birthday. What a joy she has brought to our family! This last January, she joined Bob and I and the rest of the team on our trip to Liberia. I wondered how she would respond, how she would adapt, if the stories she had heard from birth matched up with what she experienced. She is not a "port'o'potty" kind of girl, and conditions would be primitive by her standards -- toilets flushed with a bucket of water, no electricity, no refrigerator, only Liberian food, lots of bugs including fire ants, etc.

The first night, as I lay exhausted from the day long trip, desperate to quickly fall asleep, I heard a shriek from the room next to us, where Joelle and Katie, her cousin were staying. Too tired to move, I sent Bob to investigate -- a sand crab in the corner of their room! But that was pretty much the worst of the trip.

The rest of the time, she embraced the Liberians, and especially the young people. She and Katie enjoyed meeting, talking and getting to know many of the Liberians, and enjoyed distributing the clothes and swim goggles we had brought. She and Katie witness to several kids on the beach, and spent extended time with Vashti, a young 12 year old girl, and Barbara, and young mom with an infant and a toddler.


The highlight for me, though was to see her serving at the Orphan Retreat we put on for 50 teen girls. She took charge of one of the crafts, finger knitting, and taught so many of the girls! And then, during one of my lessons, I asked if she would sing. Without complaining or embarrassment, she belted out "I am a Promise" to the astonishment of us all! It was the first time I'd heard her sing in public. I can't wait to go back with her, and I know she feels the same way. I am so proud of her, and blessed to be her mom.

Happy Birthday, honey -- I love you!

May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you.
1 Thessalonians 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment